With cold weather approaching, and autumn just around the corner the fall-flavor season is nearly here! I am a lover of all things pumpkin, especially a Pumpkin Spice Latte from Starbucks. However, all that sugar and caffeine will not do any favors for my complexion or immune system.
Instead, try this warm, yummy recipe originally found on No More Dirty Looks to get your pumpkin spice fix! The main ingredient is turmeric – giving it that pumpkin color.
Here are some of the health benefits of turmeric:
- Research has shown turmeric to have anti-inflammatory and antioxidant benefits. It reduces the likelihood of heart attacks, delays diabetes, and reduces heartburn.
- Turmeric is also cancer-fighting: killing cancer cells, reducing the size of tumors, and increasing the effectiveness of chemotherapy.
- Studies also show that turmeric can repair stem cells in the brain, indicating it can be beneficial for those suffering from stroke or Alzheimer’s.
- Research also indicates turmeric is just as effective for pain as ibuprofen for people suffering from osteoarthritis.
Reduce inflammation, kill cancer, improve brain function, and reduce pain? Sign me up!
Faux Healthy Pumpkin Spice Latte:
- Heat one cup of unsweetened coconut milk (either on stovetop or in microwave)
- Whisk in:
- 1/4 teaspoon if turmeric powder
- 1/2 teaspoon of cinnamon
- pinch of black pepper
- pinch of nutmeg
- pinch of cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon of vanilla
- 1 teaspoon of honey
- Blend it all up with a whisk or frother.
This recipe is free of dairy, gluten, sugar, and caffeine. Deliciousness in a cup – and so good for you!